Volunteers In Thompson Assisting Learners
Read our Newsletter: Current Issue Past Issues
- Lincoln volunteers busy at work
- Senior volunteers tutor students
- Volunteers at Big Thompson register online
- Bill Reed volunteers enjoy a year-end celebration
- Community volunteers read for Read Aloud Day
- Volunteers at Cottonwood Plains
- "Hats Off!" to Sarah Milner volunteers
- Winona Padres En Accion are trained to volunteer
The VITAL program encourages and supports community partnership through volunteerism in Thompson schools. Volunteers strengthen the quality of education by sharing valuable time and knowledge.
- There are more than 4,000 volunteers in Thompson School District.
- Each year more than 125,000 hours are logged by our volunteers.
- Nearly 500 volunteers donate 100 hours or more each year.
- Donated volunteer time is equivalent to more than $1 million in paid paraprofessional help.
- Volunteers help raise $500,000 each year to enhance and supplement programs for our students.
According to the National PTA website and a survey of more than 85 studies, when parents are involved in students' education, those students have:
- Higher grades and test scores
- More consistently completed homework
- Better attendance records
- Higher graduation rates
- Greater enrollment in post-secondary education
- Less involvement in alcohol use, violence, and anti-social behavior
Parent / Guardian Volunteers
Parents and guardians of students in Thompson School District are encouraged to volunteer in their children's schools as a way of staying connected and being involved with their education.
Volunteers assist students and teachers in a variety of ways including:
- Classroom help
- Chaperoning field trips and school activities
- Helping with sports, band, choir, art, and theater productions
- Assisting in science and computer labs
- And more!
Parents should complete a school volunteer registration form. Contact the volunteer coordinator at your school or talk to the school secretary.
Whether or not you have children in school, Thompson School District welcomes your help. Opportunities are available for one-time projects or to help on a regular basis.
Community volunteers can:
- Help tutor students
- Take part in career fairs
- Read to a classroom for Read Aloud Day
- Serve on a school or district decision-making team
- And more!
Community members should complete a volunteer application or contact the VITAL office
Online Registration and Background Checks
All active volunteers in Thompson School District must register online and pass a criminal background check before volunteering in a school. Once registered, volunteers can update their profiles, change their volunteer preferences, or change the schools where they volunteer. Read board policy [KJ Volunteers] and Frequently Asked Questions regarding volunteer registration and background checks.