What is it?
The Schools on the Move 5210 Challenge is an annual program sponsored by Healthy Kids Club, UCHealth. The goal of the program is to encourage kids and families to adopt the 5210 health habits everyday! The challenge runs Feb. 1 - Feb. 28.
5 - Eating a diet rich in fruits and vegetables provides the necessary vitamins and minerals for supporting growth and optimal immune function in children.
2 - Too much screen time is associated with lower reading scores, attention problems, and an increase in overweight and obesity.
1 - Physical activity is essential for the prevention of chronic diseases such as heart disease, diabetes and cancer. Physical activity increases concentration and attention, and improves academic performances, mood and behavior.
0 - Drinking sugar sweetened beverages is associated with overweight and obesity, lower milk consumption and dental cavities.
Program Specifics -
- Challenge includes 5210 challenges every day! Participants can get credit for eating 5 fruits and veggies, 2 hours or less of screen time, 1 hour of physical activity and 0 sugary drinks.
- Logs must be turned in by Friday, March 3.
- Students and staff participants with a minimum of 60 check marks on their log (out of a possible 112) will receive a Challenge t-shirt (please note that all logs that are turned in must have a parent/guardian signature).
- Top 10 schools with highest percentage of participants will be awarded money to spend on PE equipment and school wellness initiatives.
- T-shirts will be delivered to your school by May 1st.